Tuesday, January 11, 2011

establishing a new routine

Although I haven't yet figured out how my regular, personalized exercise will go just yet (still waiting for Jesse to nail down his schedule for the term), I have started a new routine with the kids that benefits me too.

Before school each morning, we now to do morning stretches together and Pilates moves for 10-15 minutes.  Then we do math and history.  After that, we all run around the block (about a 1/3 of a mile) and then we have reading and grammar lessons.  It's been working great.

The idea was actually for Mary's sake.  She sometimes struggles with focusing and having pent-up energy, and I also think she might struggle with panic a bit too (though at her age, it comes across as "the crazies").  So the exercise routine was initially initiated simply for her sake.  But it is benefitting us all.  Even if I do get in a 'real' exercise, I am getting a light work out that takes up about 20 minutes of my day Monday-Friday.  Given that I have been nothing, this is definitely a step up!

I also am hoping that helping my kids identify exercise routines now might be beneficial when they are older.  Exercise will hopefully already be a normal part of their day and not an 'extra' to be squeezed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment