Friday, October 8, 2010

acceptance

My nausea picked up on Tuesday and I wasn't able to get in any exercise Tues or Wed. On Thursday, I was still uncomfortable, but forced myself to try to run 2 miles anyhow. It hurt. My muscles were fine, but the feeling in my stomach was so incredibly uncomfortable that after a mile and half of discomfort, I had to walk.

I am finding myself faced with a challenge. I know once the nausea stops that I will be able to exercise again. I would like to maintain my muscle so that I can continue at where I'm at when that time comes. I know I can do just 20 minutes 3 times a week and accomplish that from my experience when traveling this summer (and that included a whole week off). So, that is my new goal. To do 20 minutes of something 3 times week. Even if makes me want to upchuck.

Is that crazy?

But even though my stomach hurt, I felt emotionally and psychologically better after my run yesterday. And, my body as a whole felt looser. Which was good. However, the run was really uncomfortable, so I'm thinking it wiser not to plan on running as a dependable exercise these next weeks.

I suppose we'll just see how things go. I have decided though, to not be hard on myself. Even if I don't manage to exercise this first trimester, I know I'll be able to pick it up again. Hey, with Edmund, I didn't exercise until my nausea stopped at 14 weeks and I was able to start running a mile while pushing a double stroller (and that was when I was NOT in shape). So, I know that I will be able to pick things up pretty close to where they were left off. I just need to keep telling myself that over and over and over again.

So many women say they try to block out the memories of the pain of labor. For me, I think I blocked out my memory of the first trimester. I'd much rather give birth than suffer several weeks of nausea. Blah.


1 comment:

  1. Ugh, Kelly, I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad. Pregnancy just isn't all butterflies and rainbows, is it! I've been so impressed with your ability to keep on keeping on, and I have no doubt that you WILL be able to pick it back up once the nausea goes away.

    ReplyDelete