Monday, July 26, 2010

Chiropractic and injuries

Katie, I have had regular chiropractic care for the past year. For me, it has made a huge difference. I used to have back pain of some sort most of the time. Going to bed used to be tough because I had to consciously try to relax muscles before I could even lie down properly. And everything would be tight again in the morning! And of course I was having all those knee problems.

One year later, I still have knee problems but only if I'm not careful (as opposed to all the time). And my back almost never hurts, other than normal tired muscles after a workout. It is kind of amazing, really, because I had just assumed that kind of aching knotty back was something I'd have to live with.

Initially I was going three times a week (because my symptoms were considered "acute"). Now I go about once a month, just for maintenance. Sometimes I'm tempted to just not go at all...but then I remember how hard it used to be just to lie down, and how much happier I am when I can exercise and sleep well, and I think that the $49/month price tag is totally worth it. We consider it part of our health care budget.

I do think that chiropractic makes more sense than massage (having tried both) because while massage deals with the symptom (sore muscles) chiropractic deals with the source (spinal misalignment) that is causing the sore muscles. Massage feels great at the time but I didn't find it to be very effective long-term.

By the way, I'm seeing Jason Baietto at Complete Balance Chiropractic in Placentia. He's a Christian, and really cares about his patients. Also, his staff is wonderful, and I've never had to wait more than 7 minutes to be seen. If you want to try it, I'd recommend him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Em! I know we talked about this before - I'll look into it and talk to Daniel about it.

    ReplyDelete