Tuesday, July 27, 2010

doing well

Since getting to my parents, I been using their exercise bike for 45-50 minutes. Today marks day 3. I screwed up on the mileage when I last blogged. It is more around 15-16 miles, but the calorie countage was correct.

I have been feeling so much happier these last few days and more energized and am just loving exercising again. I am also happy because I did not gain any weight during all the traveling. Yay!!!

Maybe it's just me, but I find it easier to control my diet when I am exercising. I think it causes me to be more conscientious about my body and that is helpful in evaluating food choices. Exercising regularly also gives me the power to say 'yes' to splurges without guilt.

Which makes me think of your last post, Katie P--I used to struggle a lot with viewing food guiltily. I don't know if this would be helpful, but that is the main reason why I made it a goal to try to exercise everyday (though realistically, that means 6 times a week). I decided that if I exercised every day, I would then make the choice not to stress about what I ate. Not that I would let myself eat candybars and big macs everyday, but I have a lot of issues with dieting from my overweight highschool and early college days, and can't handle dieting anymore. I refuse to do it. Exercising every day gives me more wiggle room with food and, honestly, I think it makes me less hungry. Am I the only one with that experience? I think it is because when I exercise, I am more aware of how thirsty I am and drink so much more which then, naturally, fills the empty spaces in my belly. Anyhow, all this to say, I wonder if maybe giving yourself a little break from food tracking and just focusing on strengthening your body might be helpful.

Also in regards to bodily pains, I have found that doing Pilates or Yoga stretches as warm ups really helps. It helps reduce injuries and helps me be more aware of whether or not my muscle is hurt or just tight. If it is just tight, the stretching make my body feel well again. If it is an injury, I become more aware of it. Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post Kelly- such helpful thoughts on food and exercise! I have the same exercise/food relationship- better diet control with regular exercise and it definitely makes me less hungry. Also since the exercise naturally boosts me up, I don't end up using food for the same purpose.

    Glad you are enjoying exercise again and the cycling too!

    ReplyDelete