Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Listening to Injury

This morning I did Shred Wkt 2 (day 2), sans arms. Or at least mostly sans arms. My shoulder continued to bother me all day yesterday, shooting pain down to my wrist, and by evening it hurt to pick up Naomi and do things around the house, which was semi frightening, since those 2 things pretty much make up my life right now. My shoulder felt strained. So I took some Tylenol before bed, used a heating pad and tried to stretch the muscles around it. This morning when I woke up, it still hurt, and I realized it was connected to a yucky knot in the middle of my back. I'm not sure which came first, the strain or the knot, but I tried laying on a tennis ball some, which helped a bit.

I thought about not working out, and gauged where my heart was at. I felt discouraged and powerless, and I could tell that the injury was leading me toward sluggishness and giving up (rather than driving too hard despite injury, which was the other thing I was listening for), so I decided to work out but totally modify to avoid any pain to my arm. There was still a lot I could do with my legs and abs, and simple bicep curls seemed fine.

I was able to do jumping jacks and high knees for some of the cardio that I couldn't do, and sometimes for the plank stuff I just did lunges with bicep curls, but found that I was able to do most of the workout. And at least I did something. My shoulder feels only so-so now (evening), so I'm going to keep resting it and see how it goes.

1 comment: