Saturday, July 24, 2010

Injury.. ugh

Well, I mentioned in my last post that I was beginning to feel like an athlete again. This week, that has remained true, but in a different way. This week an old, chronic injury visited me again.

Background: I played volleyball and ran track and cross country in high school- and loved it. When I was finishing my sophomore year, I began to feel a popping noise in my hip on occasion. I thought it might be a problem, but since I experienced little pain with it, I left it alone. This came back to bite me at Biola. My 2nd year, I trained and ran a half-marathon. It was wonderful! It also aggravated the problem in my hips. By the time I saw a doctor about it, it was full-blown bursitis.
Since I ran sooo much in training, I overused the joint. Since I did not treat it early, it is probably something that will be a chronic problem for the rest of my life.

I have learned to manage it during the past 5 or so years so that it doesn't affect my daily life (besides the no running thing). All the new exercises and my increased intensity brought it back to life this week.

It is frustrating, but I have been working around it. I have been focusing on arms and abs, and have been doing things like working out in the yard. So far so good. I never know how long the bursitis will act up, but hopefully I will be mostly back to my normal routine in a few weeks.

Responses:

Jessica- Thanks for the DVD reviews! I think I need the No More Trouble Zones

Wow, you use use heavy weights. My standard set is 3, 5, and 10lbs. The food journaling sounds interesting. How much time would you say that it takes?

Katie P.- I am continually amazed by your reflections. Thanks for sharing! I have thought about the water trick often and have used it successfully once this week.

Emily- Your alternative workout :) sounds like a lot of fun. I think it is something like what Wiggledancing is for me. Glad that you are hanging in there during the kitchen remodel! I keep looking at our aging tiled backsplash and cracked tiles.... :)

Kelly- I hope that you are having a great time on your vacation. It looks like you are getting some "fun" exercise in. Yellowstone is so amazing- we went there as part of our honeymoon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment