Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 10 and how it's going

I'm 1/3 of the way through my personal 30 day challenge (water, GS, exercise). And I have to admit that I'm really liking the results. Usually I have really miserable periods (enough so that I take pain medication to get through them). And right now I'm still feeling icky, but less miserable than usual. :) I think it is probably all the extra water and produce. But it is wonderful to feel good enough to want to do a yoga workout when usually I'd want to be lying in bed!

Water - 96 ounces
GS - yes
exercise - 30 minutes "weight loss yoga" (biggest loser)

Katie, I have to admit that I am green with envy over your exercise bike. My biggest challenge with exercise is feeling bored while doing it. I would love to be able to read a book and work out at the same time!

Christa, it can be really tough to find a good routine (and I'm sorry to hear about Dan having difficulty - that definitely doesn't help.) Keep experimenting. When I work on my routine, I always start with a list of priorities - things that really need to happen for the day to be a good one. Getting exercise into the mix required changing my focus enough to believe that it was important enough to make it on that list of priorities. ;)

Jess, about function. I think you're right about stewardship. Also, I've started to realize that the choices I make about body care now will seriously affect the choices that I get to make later. If I strength train now, and get into the habit, I'll be much less likely to end up with bone loss and osteoporosis (which would seriously impact quality of life later). I want to be able to be really active when I'm older - maybe a midwife, maybe a grandmother, maybe working at a life center - who knows - and I need to take care of the body I've been given now in order to have those opportunities to love and serve people later.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, if you would really like to try an exercise bike I have something you could probably borrow for awhile. I have a stationary trainer that holds up a regular bicycle and provides resistance so you can ride indoors as if you had an indoor bike (if that makes sense). I'm not using it right now so if you wanted to try it for awhile you could.

    Part of why I'm not using it is the whole sickness thing I've had going on, but partly it's because it takes up a lot of space and I don't like having it as a permanent fixture in my nook (and I find it rather difficult to set up / take down). I know space is also an issue for you, but if you're interested let me know!

    ReplyDelete